Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Confirming Unconfirmed Reports

Here, I find myself surrounded with stories and not some - many of them. The real test seems to be making a decision about which story to explore.

Some bizarre things happen too which consume my time. Just this morning , I saw alerts running on leading news channels that suggested that authorities in Hunza had decided to blow up the spill way at the Attabad lake so that the lake could be drained. There was a temptation , of course to call up the news room and give this news because news channels with a so called credible reputation were saying that.

I instead called up the District Administration , that told me that this was nothing but mischief. How on earth could explosives be used to blow up the spillway? The impact would definitely disturb the debris of the lake and no one would be able to say how would the water behave.

And to my embarrassment, this invited criticism on the way media organisations behave at times. They thanked me for confirming with them and so when I called up mu news room at Express News and Express 24/7, the confusion was cleared.

Journalists can never forget their responsibility towards society. As for Hunza, my friend here says the weather is as unpredictable as are girls....hmmm! but I think one got to be a poet to capture the beauty of this place in words.

I wish I was one!

1 comment:

  1. credibility is all we ask! im very impressed with the way you handled the situation Tuesday morning! :)

    and IMO, you can be a poet, if you have beauty around you, so go ahead, write about it! :D

    ReplyDelete