Thursday, March 17, 2011

Don't Ask Don't Tell!

A hurried attempt to answer the questions on fb page.....

Sara Rehman so you could be followed by those who r not journalist! tell us something about your family background, your hobbies! and would you like to suggest any special courses for those who are keen to join JOURNALISM but they are not journalist, have you done any such type of course or diploma to switch over journalism? waiting for your answer!

WR: I come from a Kashmiri family. I was born in Islamabad and studied there mostly. I always like to visit Islamabad. My hobbies? Well, In high school, I was the President of the hobbies' club. Every thursday ( last working day of the week in those times), all students who were members of that club used to gather in the last two periods and would exchange things about their hobbies. Some brought their stamp collection, others brought coins. Some decided to subject us to their singing. I have a personal collection of over 2000 postage stamps. In those days, I used to sit and admire my stamps for hours all by myself. The ritual also included counting and exchanging stamps.At the same time I liked to play the flute and so was a member of the college band!
Later, I became interested in news and so was lucky enough to get a chance on Pakistan Television. That was not an easy hobby to persue at all. There was a pressure of studies and training on the side. But I feel i kkind of grew up in those days. Learnt so much. Not only about this world but also got to know about myself. News was a hobby for which I would have to wake up at 5 am and report for call.

Hobbies keep on evolving. These days I like to read but I don't think I am doing much of that.

Sarah Munir have u ever felt like holding back your tears while reading any dreadful news?? if yes then when was it??

WR: There is nothing wrong in crying. Every human being is capable biologically of crying. When and where is it appropriate to cry, is a vast debate. For example, many would say its inappropriate to cry in public or that boys should not cry for its a sign of weakness.
I have been heart wrenched by many news items while on air. Frequent terror strikes , human rights violations such as a surge in child rape cases are all stories I wish wouldn't happen. How people lost so much in last year's floods was something that made me really sad when I reported from some of those areas.

A newsanchor is supoosed to be above emotions when on air. I guess, that trend is changing now.

Sara Rehman and would you like to suggest any special courses for those who are keen to join JOURNALISM but they are not journalist, have you done any such type of course or diploma to switch over journalism? waiting for your answer!
Hassan Hakeem so you have no formal degree in journalism?
March 8 at 10:12pm · LikeUnlike

WR:This is a FAQ. See, its very important to complete first what you are studying already. I mean if anyone wants to join journalism , I would never say that you leave your Master in Math degree incomplete and join journalism. Complete what you have started. Then see if you can get enrolled for a related subject. There is so much to choose from in social sciences. Mass communication is something that so many people study. Short courses is something more easily available abroad than in Pakistan. Independant institutions offering training journalists is something that is not easy to come across. I will get you more specific details if I come across them. Yes, I donot have a formal degree in journalism .

Aisha Zahid Khan how do people know so much about you???? do they stalk you or something????
March 8 at 10:21pm · LikeUnlike

WR:Do they know much about me? Really? What gave you that impression?

Mahnoor Sundas w0w gud chance for us to ask you you anithing ....many of question pple ve alredy asked you anihow....waqs tell me wot r da key elements to b gud friend of y0u:)??????nad did ever perform in dramas??

WR: You are all good friends already. I donot like to lie and don't want others to lie to me. Never, performed in dramas but did have an offer at one time!

Maroof Hussain Sabri I always wonder, why do girls ask so many perosnal questions???
March 11 at 5:13p
WR: This is for girls to answer..but may be because they are born journalists!!

1 comment:

  1. THANKS ALOT! that's very kind of you for being so humble and coperative towards your fans,I've never been come across such kind CELEBRITY person, you always try to keep your fans with yourself in every moment, at every turn!. this is a very kind attempt to satisfy our questions. thanks once again for your precious time!

    ReplyDelete