Monday, December 14, 2009

REALITY


The intelligently silent air about him made him quite intriguing somewhat mysterious. But when he spoke he was so gentle and unassuming that I was encouraged to ask my own questions about the Tribal Belt in our country. And I got detailed answers. All of this was coming from a person who I had never met before and answering my childish questions must have been a waste of time for him. He himself had been picked up by insurgents. There was something about him that commanded respect.

Fast forward a couple of months and I see him sitting in the news room, again with that aura of mystery….. I went up to him and offered him my hand and then introduced myself. He got up from his chair and shook my hand without a smile but with a very affectionate expression. That’s it. No other words were ever exchanged between us. And that is all I knew about Sohail Qalander- renowned journalist!

But when I got the news of his sudden death, I was in disbelief and shock as if some one I had known for a long long time had died. The grief- indescribable.

It is after his death that I found out that:

· He had enjoyed a spectacular career as a journalist and made it to the top in a span of just ten years.
· He was a self made person. Usually this term is used to describe people who achieve success with sheer hardwork.

· Known in his circles for raising his voice and pen for the rights of the aggrieved.

· So generous that many homes awaited his regular financial assistance.


The above list is of course not exhaustive. May his soul rest in peace.
Death, they say is the only reality of life.

1 comment: